Art Basel Director Resigns

Artistic Director of Art Basel Resigns
written by Peter Duhon in New York

Less than a year after her appointment as Artistic director of Art Basel and Art Basel Miami, MCH Swiss Exhibition (Holding) Ltd announced the resignation of Cay Sophie Rabinowitz.

In the press release announcing her resignation, Ms. Cay Sophie was lauded for her professionalism. "We wish Ms. Rabinowitz much success in her future professional endeavors. We'd like to thank her for her professional contribution," says René Kamm, CEO of MCH Swiss Exhibition (Holding) Ltd.

I had some initial concerns about the appointment last June when I heard about it and the triumvirate that she was apart of which replaced former director Sam Keller to lead Art Basel and Art Basel Miami, and quickly stated my views on a blog post here on AC. I have no concerns about any members of the triumvirate, including Ms. Rabinowitz. I only have doubts about any three individuals reporting directly to a committee for the purpose of leading any sprawling global entity, especially Art Basel and Art Basel Miami. After some further consideration in a succeeding post, I expressed comments that represented a more balanced, even keeled, world-view response.

My first reaction to this resignation is that I couldn't help but notice the stoic and cold response issued by
René Kamm, "thank her for her professional contribution." In my view, that only sounds great if René Kamm were issuing that statement about a former collegiate intern who fetched coffee in the mornings for her co-workers, made accurate copies at the xerox machine for her boss, and maintained detail excel sheets. Obviously, Cay Sophie Rabinowitz duties included much, much more.

Here's a link to my previous comments concerning the triumvirate appointment last June:
http://artcomments.blogspot.com/search?q=triumvirate

Comments